Texas Personal Injury Attorneys

Contact Us 855.402.1860

Auto Accident FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accidents

Answers From an Experienced Dallas Car Accident Lawyer

People who are the victims of car accidents can suffer terrible injuries, as well as huge costs. If you or a loved one has been involved in an auto accident, here are some questions and answers that may help you understand your rights and the types monetary damages you could receive. Our Dallas personal injury attorneys are here to help in any way possible.

Learn More About Your Rights Below.

What do I do if I am involved in a car accident?

The first thing you need to do is report the accident to your insurance carrier. This will begin the process of filing a claim. Once you have filed your claim, a person called a claims adjuster will call, e-mail or write you regarding your claim. This person will review your policy to see what types of coverage you have, your deductibles and any coverage limits that could affect your claim. If there was not much damage to your car and you required little or no medical treatment, the adjuster may have you get an estimate for repairs and then send you a check.

What happens if it was a serious accident?

If it was a serious accident, you should also file a claim with the company that insured the person who caused it. If the accident caused you to have a serious injury, adjusters from the other company will do some investigation to assess their company's liability. He or she will comb through your policy and possibly talk to witnesses to the accident and to the other party. The adjuster may also look at the police report (if there is one), take photographs of the damages to your car and the scene of the accident, and investigate your medical expenses.

How do I know if I need a Dallas car accident attorney?

After the other company's claims adjuster has completed an investigation, you may be offered a settlement - or an amount of money to compensate you for your economic and non-economic damages. If you feel you have not been offered enough to fully compensate you for your injuries, you should talk with a Dallas personal injury lawyer. This is because a lawyer is more experienced and can do a better job of negotiating with the other insurance company. Plus, if you cannot negotiate a fair settlement, your lawyer can get the necessary information, find witnesses and, if necessary, hire expert witnesses, so you can win your case in court and get the money you deserve.

Get Your Life Back: Call Us!

Call us 24/7 at (855) 402-1860 or fill out the form below for immediate legal help.

More Frequently Asked Questions

How does Texas handle car accident injury cases?

The state of Texas has what is called a "core liability system" that governs how suffering and pain claims are handled in court cases. This core liability system means that the jury gets to decide exclusively the amount of damages you get.

What are car accident damages?

Car accident damages are the amount of money that you are awarded by someone else or their insurance company. It is to compensate you for the injury you suffered as a result of that person's negligence or wrongdoing. You can negotiate with either the other person or the insurance company or fight it out in court. Whichever the case, it comes down to damages. How much are you owed as a result of the accident?

What are economic damages?

There are two kinds of damages for which you can expect to be compensated. Economic damages are to compensate you for your actual economic loss. Non-economic damages are for things such as physical and mental pain and suffering, disfigurement, or physical impairment. They can also be for loss of companionship, loss of enjoyment of life, injury to one's reputation, and loss of spousal companionship and services. These non-economic damages are usually the most controversial and difficult to settle because they're very intangible and it's tough to put a price on them.

What is Personal Injury Protection?

Texas law requires auto insurance companies to offer Personal Injury Protection coverage to all drivers. If you are in an automobile accident, this can cover your medical expenses, 80% of your lost income and the cost of hiring someone to take care of you. Currently, the minimum coverage is $2500. However, you can purchase more. If you don't want PIP, you have to reject it in writing.

More Questions? Contact Uvalle Law Firm, PLLC Today.

If you have more questions about your auto accident or one of the questions mentioned above, please give us a call today. We would be happy to provide you with the answers and information you need to be more informed.

Recommended Reading